Monday, December 6, 2010

Navajo Nation (south of Monument Valley)

We headed up to the Grand Canyon, and checked out the visitor center. We looked over a few overlooks, and found a spot in the parking lot of a lodge to sleep. We got run off by a ranger after a few hourse, so we actually paid to camp in a campground. It was $16, but we got a half-price deal with the annual park pass. We spent the whole next day checking out all we could before drifting eastward towards Lake Powell. We spent a little time in a Mcdonalds there, then went to sleep in Walmart. In the morning we checked out horseshoe bend, and decided to stay until sunset. I used this as an opportunity to test my handheld GPS. It seems pretty nice, I'll do a gear review later. We went back to Walmart, and I made some fettuccine alfredo. In the morning,  I made breakfast while Lauren went to the bathroom. After a long time, I went in to see if she was OK, she wasn't feeling well at all, and we spent most of this morning sitting in the truck, while I played Picross. She didn't feel like hiking to the wave, so we headed towards Monument Valley.
On the way we saw the Glen Canyon Dam, and a street with  11 churches in a row. I was really enjoying the drive, but we came to the last sizable town to sleep in, so we went to Sonic, and to a Basha's for groceries. We are internetting in Mcdonalds at the moment, but in the morning, we are going to Monument Valley, the Four Corners and either Chaco, NM or Mesa Verde, CO, depending on how we feel. I think we are beginning to reach the limit of time 2 people can spend in a truck, even if they love each other. I plan to research the techniques NASA is trying out for extended space travel. After Mesa Verde, we are going to Arches, Canyonlands, and Dead Horse Point, before starting the Colorado experience. Lauren wants me to see the countryside, but I'm not looking forward to the snow. She is meeting up with a friend and going snowboarding, while I sit in the lodge and not worry about dying. The upside is that we are going to Coors in Golden, CO, on the way east. I'll try to keep blogging often..

No comments:

Post a Comment