Friday, December 10, 2010

Moab, UT

Lauren and I woke up in the Howard Johnson parking lot, and while she went to the bathroom in Mcdonalds, I went to the Basha's for some booze. I only had one tallboy left, and I drank it that morning on the way to the store for more. Unfortunately, we were in the sovereign nation of the Navajo people, and they don't sell booze...at all. We hastened the pace and drove north through Monument Valley. It happens to be owned by the Navajo, not the US, so we had to pay $5 each to get in. We continued to Mexican Hat, UT and I bought a 12 pack of Milwaukee's Best, but it turned out to be out of date and skunky. I drank it anyway. We kept going to 4 corners and we had to pay $3 each to get in there. We took some pictures, and Riley played with some stray dogs. We made it into Farmington, NM, had some ramen and Kool Aid Bursts, and to sleep at Walmart.

In the morning, we drove to Mesa Verde, and drove a loop to kill time until a guided tour into some 700 year-old cliff dwellings. Lauren took pictures tilll my finger hurt from watching her press the shutter. We took the tour and it reminded me of when I was living in the barn in Sheperdstown, WV. They even had a stuffed turkey vulture. For those of you who don't know, I lived next to a couple of them for a few months before it got too cold and they flew away. Anyway, we drove on towards Telluride, CO, but that place has zoned parking permits like Boston, and less free parking than Atlantic City. Even the hotels had parking permits. We headed into some little town I can't remember, and watched some movies. The Reanimator was a little too much for Lauren, so we finished with The Wanderers. I had a hot pocket because I'm craving pizza, and Lauren had a microwave chimichanga from a gas station.

The next day we drove to Moab, and reevaluated our daily scheduling system. Lauren went into Mcdonalds for a while, and I had some beer and took a nap on the front seat. When she came out, we drove to a Comfort Suites and slept in their lot. I went to bed around 7:30. Today, we got up by 10:45, and drove all through Arches NP. We walked a few trails, and Lauren took so many pictures, the camera got hot the touch. We just got finished, and did some shopping at a City Market, which, apparently, is associated with Kroger's and Fred Meyer. We got some Thai noodles, went to Mcdonalds' parking lot, and cooked them up. They were awful. We are currently inside blogging, and Lauren tells me I just sold a coffee mug online for a few dollars commission. Canyon Lands tomorrow, drive halfway to Gunnison, CO the next day, and Gunnison, by the 13th. Snowboarding on the 14th and onward...

No comments:

Post a Comment