Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Rapid City, SD

We went to the car museum in Roscoe, IL, but it was closed on Fridays, so we went to a McDonalds. Apparently, it was the happening high-school hang-out, because at now point were there less than 30 screaming kids in there. We went to sleep at Walmart. In the morning, while Lauren was in the bathroom, the police came by and told us to beat it. We went to the museum and saw the Family Truckster, and then headed for Milwaukee, and found a McDonalds that did not allow students between 8:30 am and 3:30 pm. I don't know what they meant by that, but they didn't have wifi anyway so we looked for Miller. We found it but we missed the last tour. We found a Staples parking lot in a dark neigborhood, but they didn't have wifi either. At nightfall, it became apparent that this was not the neigborhood to sleep in, so we went to a Radison parking lot. We stayed there all the next day, and into the next morning. Then it was Millertime. We arrived in the morning as they unlocked the doors. We had time to shop before the tour, but they didn't have any Milwaukees Best Ice stuff. The tour was a movie of old commercials and a tour of a few buildings. Then we had samples. We had pretzels, and I drank 7 free beers. The best thing they had was High Life. So, we left for the Mall from Mallrats.
We drove all day and found the Mall of America as it was closing. We went to the Walmart, and Lauren used her sweat pants as a leash for the dog.We got up in the morning and got free continental breakfast at the hotel across the street. Then we hit, not only the Eden Prairie Center (Mallrats), but also the flea market where the "dirt mall" scenes were filmed.
We drove through a tiny piece of North Dakota, but there was roadwork, and we were stopped at flagging light. It turned green, so we went, but I guess they changed it by mistake, because we had to sit off the road in a dirt mound, while 4 semi's go by in the other direction. We spend about 10 minutes in the state total. We wend through Suoix Falls, saw the Corn Palace in Mitchell, and found a hotel in Wall to park behind. This morning, I really had to poop, so I went into the hotel. I ended up getting free breakfast for Lauren, and running it back to the truck. But I still had to got, so I ran to the hotel across the street. After I was finished, I got some free biscuits and gravy, and came back. We wandered through Wall Drug,drove the Badlands Loop, and went to Mount Rushmore.
They had the nerve to ask me to pay $10 to park, in a national park, for which I had a park pass. Not only, is this public property, and is as much mine as it is anybody else's, and they make me buy a $100 annual pass. But, then that pass doesn't even let me park on publicly owned land. I told them I wanted to turn around and leave. When, I got out of sight, I parked anyway. Go to hell, Mount Rushmore, I hope the damn thing falls down. After we took some pictures, we headed back to Rapid City to charge up and blog. More Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment