Thursday, September 16, 2010

Grand Tetons, WY

I've noticed that my post kind-of just run on. I'm going to try to be a little more detailed today. Everything went pretty well. I woke up first, as usual, and I walked the dog and went into Walmart. I completed my morning routine, did some browsing, and read an RV Magazine in the automotive department. I came back out to the truck and got Lauren up. We were on the road by 8am.
We had to go to a pert store to get Riley's special, expensive food, so I preset the destination in the GPS last night. They didn't open till 9, so we headed west on I-90. We deviated to US 16 because I trusted a plywood sign with hand painted claims of "faster" and "better scenery" better than I trusted my high tech, $200 connection to geosynchronous satellites. I was totally right, it was way better. We had bagels and got gas around noon. I'm averaging about 24-25 MPG. Not too bad for a two-decade old carburetor. We made it to the Hot Spring National/State Park/Thing, whatever at about 3, bathed for about 20 minutes and had some tuna salad wraps.
We arrived at the Grand Tetons just in time to see the sun set behind them. We still need dog food. My shoulder is completely useless; I can't lift my arm over my head. My neck has about a a 35 degree range of motion. My right knee is shot from standing on the gas. I had it floored for like 2.5 hours. My eyes can't really focus right, and my ears won't stop ringing from the engine noise. I'm too tired to sleep, and the money is getting tight. Every decision must be put through a series of mathematical formulas to make sure its not only logical, but even possible. This is what I was built for. The plan is 250 miles or so tomorrow; Tetons, Yellowstone, and hopefully into Butte, MT. Then, a 500 mile, 10 hour burn to Seattle, buy Monday. Then, a leisurely  5 hours through Portland and into Eugene. Then the real excitement starts. I'll keep posting...

No comments:

Post a Comment