Thursday, September 9, 2010

North of Chicago

So the McDonalds in Bangor smelled like sewer, bad, so we left pretty early for Acadia State Park. We had a great time driving the park loop, checking out Thunder Hole, and driving to the top of Cadillac Mountain. We left the park and headed to a little lobster shack, right on the water. It was great, but nice things are lost on Lauren. We were going to take the ferry to Nova Scotia, but it was closed because of the hurricane. We drove about 3 hours through nothingness to Calais, ME, only to be turned around by Canadian Border Guards. They said my record was not sufficiently clean, and I need to apply for rehabilitated criminal status. We had our truck ripped apart and searched twice. I didn't feel much like driving, so we stayed at the Walmart (after their power came back on). We backtracked all the way through Bangor, Vermont, and headed for Buffalo. I drove about 12 hours and slept in a Walmart in New York near Lake Champlain. In the morning we had chicken at Walmart and headed for Niagra Falls. It was packed, and I couldn't go to the Canadian side, so after a few hours, we left. We stayed up for a while in a McDonalds on the way to Sandusky, OH, because it was open 24 hours. But, that means they let some colorful people in. We went to bed when we were tired of the hoopin' and hollarin'. We went to the Walmart next to the Mcdonalds and went to bed. It was nice, we parked against a big grassy hill. In the morning we watched the first 2 Mad Max movies and drove all the way to Sandusky and found a place near the hotel to park. We went for a walk and found out that the mini golf was free for the evening. We only got through half of a game before they closed though. We got about half way through Beyond Thunderdome, and I fell asleep. We had a blast in the park. Usually amusement park experience, complete with funnel cakes. We went out halfway through the day to have lunch, and I decided that I'd rather eat other people's trash than my own Taco Bell leftovers. That night, we tried to sleep in the smae spot, but security ran us off. We went to a Walmart and went to bed. The next morning, we found that we had internet in the Walmart lot, so we got some rice and chilled out. We went to a Koa so Lauren could shower and drove to the first rest sop in Michigan before we realized I lost my passport and credit card. I called Cedar Point and sure enough, they had it. I drove all the way back to get it, and re-drove everything I had just done. We were shot, so we went to Cracker Barrel to decompress. After that we got close to the Gilmore Car Museum and crashed in a Walmart. In the morning we had chicken and went shopping. We watched Tucker: The Man and the Dream, and went to the museum to see number 47. Then we drove through downtown Chicago, and found a Walmart about an hour north. The GPS has been screwing up alot, and I think its because I wont pay $120 to update the map software. It took 3 tried to locate a Walmart. We watched most of THX-1138, and went to bed. This morning we tried to finish it but I was out of power. We cleaned out the truck, refilled our water, had a nice brunch, and left. We were going to another car museum, but its a big one, so we decided to start early tomorrow. We're in a Mcdonalds now, charging everything we have. Signing off..

No comments:

Post a Comment